Schloss Merode (D)

On the northern edge of the Ruhr Eifel lies the village and castle of Merode.
It is considered one of the most beautiful castles of the Rhineland .
The castle is owned by Prince Charles-Louis de Merode who, as a 24th generation occupant, lives there with his family.

schloss merode 660x495

The castle is first mentioned in the twelfth century.
The present form is largely due to the intensive building activities of Field Marshal Jean-Philippe de Merode-Westerlo at the beginning of the 18th century.
His tombstone is in the chapel of the castle.
Further renovations took place from 1834 to 1838.


schilderij Schloss Merode uit 1728

In the second world war the castle was badly damaged in a bombing raid.
The restoration of it lasted until the nineties.
Another disaster took place on June 19, 2000. A major fire destroyed almost the entire roof of the castle as well as a prominent corner tower.
The reconstruction of these are almost finished.

Because the castle is still inhabited, it cannot be visited, except during for a few public events.
The income earned on those occasions is used for further restoration.

With ancient,authentic material of this castle you can order the following lamps:

Soon a small version of the Petasus, the Petasulus, will be available.

More info

Owner

Family De Merode

wapen_merode